Other plays for the theatre include The Montford Point Marine, The Waiting Room, The Dance on Widows Row, Cork, “Eve of the Trial” in Orchards, Welcome to Black River, A Love Play, The Coming, Brass Birds Don’t Sing and Eyes of the American.
He is the author of the book for the musical Bojangles and contributor to the book for the musical Sophisticated Ladies.
Writing for television includes story editing and scriptwriting for the television series’ Frank’s Place (CBS 1987-88) and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990s)
AWARDS & HONOURS
* 1980 Tony Award Nomination – Best Play: Home, written by Samm-Art Williams
* 1980 Drama Desk Award Nomination – Outstanding New Play: Home, written by Samm-Art Williams
* 1985 Emmy Award Nomination – Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program, for Motown Returns to the Apollo (shared with fellow writers Buz Kohan and Peter Elblin)
* 1988 Emmy Award Nomination – Outstanding Comedy Series, Frank’s Place (as story editor; shared with executive producers Hugh Wilson and Tim Reid, producers Max Tash and David Chambers and co-producer Richard Dubin
* Fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts
* 2010 N. C. Literary Hall of Fame Induction